Saturday, February 23, 2013

Comfort Zone

Living confined within our comfort zone is an easy thing to do.  It's safe inside the comfort zone.  We think we know what will happen.  What WON'T happen.  The expected.

It can also get boring there.  Predictable.  Comfortable.

Even me, the adventurous one must venture outside my comfort zone.  And it's hard.  Yes, even for me.  I'm not afraid to try.  But it's still a push, and I'm a social person.  Going somewhere new.  Well, it's new.  You don't know what to expect.  It's hard.  The people might not like you.  We all still have that insecure person living deep inside.  What if I fail?  

Of course, most of our worries in life are just in our head.  It's really not that bad.

So tonight, I'm going out with a few of the "hockey moms" - not my normal, "hockey mom" group - another group invited me out.  I said yes.  I always say "yes".  Doesn't mean it isn't hard.  What if I'm bored to death?  What if they don't like me?

Who cares?  It's not for the rest of my life.  It's one night.  I just might like a different place.  Out of the rut.

Which brings me to my original adventure to Hawaii.  It was risky.  It was out of my comfort zone.  It was a new thing to try.  Actually though, I never even thought about it twice.

On the other hand, I've been quite stingy with my invitations for others to join us.  This was MY adventure.  Going to a place I had never been.  Doing something I had never done.  I wanted to go alone.  It was important to me.  In the past, I had traveled for business alone, but never on an "adventure".  I needed to do it, for me. By myself.  Then I wanted the boys there, just us. Usually, we meet up with people we know.  I love those times, I just needed this.

Quite honestly, I'm a little possessive of "our island".  Possessive of the time I have with my boys.  Of course, I have invited some friends, and they have shown up!  It's been a blast, but the invitations have been few and far between.  Truthfully too, there are people I haven't invited - it's my escape from the real world.  My real friends.  Which is truly ironic, because they are my "real" friends.

This year though, a very special lady got an invitation.  Come with me.  For a week.  Come to a place you have never been.  On a journey by yourself.  To a place far away.  Out of your comfort zone.  All of it.  Long flight.  By yourself.  Come to a place that taught me so much about me.  Come let me share my journey with you.

When I first mentioned it, I received the response I thought I would, "I don't know.  It's far".  Me:  "Just think about it.  You've always wanted to go.  There were always reasons it didn't happen."  "Papo didn't want to go.  It was too far to leave him."  "Now, though, he left you airline miles - it's a free flight.  A free place to stay".  "Just think about it."

Leaving a comfort zone is difficult.  For anyone.  Trying something different is scary.  After 67 years of a  routine, I know it's scary.  But I found me, outside my comfort zone.  I know you will be fine.  After all, I am your grand-daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment