Monday, April 15, 2013

Why I run

To be honest, I don't like to run.  I don't get that "runners high".  Don't get me wrong, I do feel good AFTER I run.  And, it's not too bad.

More of a swimmer.  Or a bike rider.  That is why I LOVE triathlons.  Just when you are tired of swimming, it's time to bike, then just as I begin to get bored on my bike, it's time to run.  By that point, I'm over a 2/3 of the way done with the race.  The running isn't so bad, there is an end in sight.

There is a line in the Back To the Future III movie - they have gone back into the Old West.  One of the actors says to the Michael J Fox character "People run for fun?".  That's how I feel.

Now my sons, they are gifted runners.  I run.

Looking back at all the races I've done now, you would think I was a runner.  I do run.  Also looking back, I like how I look when I'm in shape to run. Toned.  Able to breathe and run at the same time.  It's does make me feel good - AFTER it's over.  Plus, I run to music.  Clear my head and sing along.  Nothing but me and the road.

I run in races to complete goals.  To have an achievement.

I run because I can.  Because others can't.  I run because it's just me.  To see what I'm capable of. What my body can take.  What my mind can handle.

Then it becomes a community.  I am one with others.  Hundreds and thousands of others.  Yet, less than 1% of the world population has completed a marathon.  Running in Greece - from Marathon to Athens, I was one with the world.  Part of history.  History of fighting.  History of champions.  History of Olympic athletes.


Less than 1%, but with 99% of the population whom continues to be astounded when someone wants to hurt others. 

No, I haven't run the Boston Marathon.  You have to QUALIFY to run the Boston Marathon.  You must first run another marathon.  Complete that other marathon within a certain time for your age group. THEN, you are put into a lottery and must run within 3 years of being chosen for your lottery spot.  If you run GET to run the Boston Marathon, you are truly one of the chosen.  That's more marathons that I would have to run than I ever want to run.  I might change my mind one day.

For now, I will run for help.  To help.  So, I run again......

No comments:

Post a Comment