Saturday, April 6, 2013

TP

Papering.  TPing.  Putting toilet paper in trees in someones front yard. 

Not sure how this idea originated.  I'm sure it was in the South.  I'm sure it was bored teenagers......

One of the moms down the street gets so mad when her house gets "tp'ed".  I did ask her once "why?".  "It messes my house up.  It looks horrible" was her reply.

When I see the paper flowing in the wind in someones yard?  I smile.  It makes me happy.  There are kids out there being kids.  Doing the things they are supposed to be doing.  They aren't destroying property.  They aren't out there drinking, doing drugs or being destructive.  They are out there putting toilet paper in trees and bushes.  It makes me smile.

Last year, my 8th grader was finishing up at the school he had been at since first grade.  Our house was "tp-ed" 4 times in one week.  Every single time, when I woke up, I smiled.  The neighbors thought it was funny too.

I'm the mom whom buys the extra cheap toilet paper when there are sleep overs.  There is a dad in the hood, whom will actually drive the boys around.  I go to sleep.  "I don't know what they are doing". "Last I checked they were downstairs."  Yes, the next morning, there is a little less toilet paper in the house.  Hmmmmm.

Society doesn't want kids playing video games all the time, yet they don't want them out playing either.  Moderation is the best thing.

Now Duncan has outgrown the "papering" stage.  So this year on Halloween, they re-arranged all the election signs in people yards.  My first thought "could you imagine the look on my Papo's face if he had woken up and seen an Obama sign in his yard!!"  Yet, I still would have smiled.

Yes, it is a waste of paper.  Yes, technically, it's littering.  For me though, papering provides smiles.

And at my house, the girls know, they get Popsicles if I "catch" them....


No comments:

Post a Comment