Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chameleon

Chameleons (family Chamaeleonidae) are a distinctive and highly specialized clade of lizards. They are distinguished by their parrot-like zygodactylous feet, their separately mobile and stereoscopic eyes, their very long, highly modified, and rapidly extraditable tongues, their swaying gait, the possession by many of a prehensile tail, crests or horns on their distinctively shaped heads, and the ability of some to change color. Uniquely adapted for climbing and visual hunting, the approximately 160 species of chameleon range from Africa, Madagascar, Spain and Portugal, across south Asia, to Sri Lanka, have been introduced to Hawaii, California and Florida, and are found in warm habitats that vary from rain forest to desert conditions.

Many, many years ago, I was in Houston - for the first time. At my best friends house. For the first time. We had a New Year's Eve party.

The next day, I came downstairs. My hair was in a "french braid". Normally, my hair looks fairly blonde - sometimes, it is straight, sometimes curly, dark, blonde, it's changeable. "Mom" says, "You know, you're like a chamelon" "You never know who is going to come down the stairs. " I've remembered that moment. The chameleon.....

Poof....

She's in Vail - skiing; She's married; She's pregnant - having a son and a house in Cherry Creek; She's living in Colorado; she's the career woman; she still think she's the insecure girl without much money; she's running a marathon in Greece; she's the hockey mom, she's learning to surf and on and on. You get the idea.

When I am in a moment - I am COMPLETELY there. I don't ever wish I was somewhere else. Right there and then - whatever the moment, I am PRESENT. And I assimilate. Become part of the place, the experience. I fit right in.

And here I am. School starts Thursday, pre-season hockey, blah, blah, blah..... Right back into the swing of things.

It's funny. Last year, after running the marathon, I thought things would look different when I came back. They were the same. It was an experience. I wasn't the same.
Assimilate: "to take in and incorporate as one's own; absorb: He assimilated many new experiences on his European trip."

Assimilate - is that the right word?

I always think of the word really as the opposite. I do absorb, but become part of - transform - and I guess that is where the chameleon comes in. I change to fit the environment.

Did you ever meet someone and you know - that the moment you speak to the person - your life will change forever? I've had that happen twice. And I think I've added a third time.

But, I have to tell you about the second time. (Can't tell you everything at once - you'd quit reading).

SO, SIX years ago, I was skiing in Vail...... I was at at the Red Lion. I was with a girlfriend and we were trying to move away from these annoying guys. We just started talking with these guys at the next table. I hear the story. "this group of us get together every year, blah, blah, blah" Same story, different day. This guy is talking TO me (not with me) and I look over and see this cute guy with the group (the group the guy I am speaking to) . Blue shirt - and WEDDING RING. Dammit. Of course.

I believe in attraction - you are either attracted to someone or you are not. No amount of money, beauty, finesse, etc, will change that. Now, you can become MORE or LESS attracted to someone, but, if it is there, well it's there.

The guy I'm speaking with has to go to the bathroom. And as he leaves, his friend stands up from across the way. Literally, my first thought: "Please, please don't come over here". How can you have a thought like this, well, when you haven't even spoken to someone?"

Let me give you the short version of a very long story: As of today, he lives on the East Coast, he's still married, and has an incredible career. AND, we still keep in touch. Which, truly, I think, is the funniest thing of all. Some people collect seashells, I collect people......

The reason I bring all this up....... He was in town today - Denver. We had lunch. How RANDOM is that?? We were talking work, life, Hawaii, love, children, happiness...... Isn't that what friends do? Keep in touch???

And TRULY - at lunch today, I wouldn't have been anywhere else in the world.

What do you do?

You believe. You assimilate. You be.

I have incredible friends. And I believe it takes hard work. And the chameleon is part of whom I am. She was there today. Giving advice to a Fortune 100 Executive. ....

Have you seen the movie "Au Chocolate"? Jonnny Deep?

Yes, at some moment, we need to shut the window....... Or maybe we don't. Don't let the spirit guide us to the next point. Maybe we are supposed to stay here.... Here - not the next moment. Not , not, not.....

Not transform..... just stay here. Not all Chameleon's change......










No comments:

Post a Comment