Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Crying Game

The good-bye's have begun.

They started on Tuesday.  A couple of people from the paddling group were leaving.  They said good-bye to us.  Or rather "see you next summer".  I tried not to let my eye's water.  I'm not sure if it worked.

Yesterday, I had driven to the drugstore, to get chips and candy for the kids.  They were waiting for me in the shade.  We had determined that the ice cream truck wasn't going to come today.  It's near the end.  Why not?  What's better than chocolate and chips and candy on a hot summer day?  I was on my way back to the beach.  The store is approximately 2 miles from the beach.  My eyes watered up the whole way back.

We stayed to night swim after the sunset.  I had "glow in the dark" bracelets for the kids.  Fun to see them play near the shore and their wrist and necks (because of course you can join them and make necklaces).  My eyes didn't water, but the melancholy feeling overtook me.

What a great wonderful lucky person I am.  This summer has been incredible.  I truly love this place.

I asked the kids "I wonder if we were only here for two weeks, if the tears would start with so much time still left?".  We determined probably not.  Although, the boys are use to me - they said I wouldn't cry until the end.  I think the girls thought - she'd probably cry the whole time she was here.

This morning we said good-bye to the local girl.  We might see her on Monday, but she's gone with Lily to the other side of island for the weekend and school starts on Monday.

But first, we all went paddling.

Like everything else in life, I can't help but immerse myself.  Today - in our canoe, I had 5 of the 12 participants.  Duncan was steering.  Lily was calling, I was stroking, L & Nolan were helping the new people on the boat with how to paddle.  I couldn't help but smile.  I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes as we paddled back to shore.

Saying good-bye to our paddling friends was easier than I thought.  It was more of a "See you next summer"  once again, plus I was ready for it.

We went to the farmers market on our way home - everything seemed a bit brighter and tasted better - even more so than it had all summer.  Our one guy had our fresh macadamia nut basil pesto fresh pasta ready for us.

We made pancakes.  The girls braided my hair.  The girls recorded the boys singing silly songs.  The girls said good-bye to the house.  We took them home.

The tears are in check.  I'm really trying to savor these last few days.  Enjoy every single moment and not worry about the sadness that will follow.  As they are really not tears of sadness, but joy.  Crying for how fortunate we all have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment