Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quitting Time

It's okay to quit.

No one else will EVER tell you this.  If you need to hear it again, call me.  I'll tell you:  Sometimes, it's okay to quit.

Has anyone ever told you it's okay to quit???

No.  We are told.  Sign up for this.  Try this.  Go for it.  See it until the end.  What if you don't like it?  What if you don't want to do it?

Pretty soon, people quit trying.  Want to know why?  Truly, it's easier to NOT do something, than start something and tell anyone you are going to quit. Instead of quitting anything.  We just quit trying anything.

Keep going.  Hang in there.  You can do it.  All encouraging words.

OR

The complete opposite.

Why would you do that?  Isn't that hard?  What if you fail?

Is there no medium in this mix????

Can we not TRY something and if we don't like it quit?  Yes, it is FAR too easy to quit with long term commitments.  But, really, can't we admit we made a mistake???

I tried to like running.  Really, I did.  I ran.  I ran again.  I ran half-marathons.  I've run a marathon.  Truly,  I don't like to run!!  What I do like is a goal and an accomplishment.  What I don't like?  The actual physical running - oh wait, that's not true.  When I'm in shape, I LOVE to run..... Some how your body takes over.  Mentally, I'm not one of those people whom ever get the runners "high".  It's okay, I can quit running anytime I want.  I've tried running.  I keep "trying" to "be" a runner.  It's not me.  I run.  I'm not a runner.


YOU signed your 10 year old up for football.  He hates it.  The usual conversation goes:  Just finish the season.  Would you EVER imagine saying.  You know what?  "Thank for trying something.  Thanks for going outside your comfort zone.  Thanks for telling me: " I don't want to do this". You don't have to go back.  You can quit.

 It takes a bigger person to say "I can't" or "I don't" than a person whom just says "I do"......



1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU, Mom, for accepting "I don't want" and being okay with it! You rock!

    ReplyDelete