Friday, March 1, 2013

The Chicago Rule

It's the middle of the night.  You are in Chicago. (If you live in Chicago, you have to pick another city across the country).  You can call as many people as you want.  However, all you can say is:

I need you in Chicago at noon tomorrow.  It's an emergency.  Meet me at the Hancock building in the lobby.  I'll explain then.

That's it.  That's all you can say.  Then you have to hang up.  Now, please don't do this if it's not an emergency, but just think about it.

Whom would be there?

If you are LUCKY.  I mean REALLY LUCKY five people would show up.  Probably, truthfully, we all have one or two.  I don't mean those whom would show up in a couple of days.  Or those whom would need to know more.  Those are our "village".  Yes, our village could convene in a week.  Whom would be there TOMORROW.  No questions asked.

I'm talking the people whom would be there tomorrow, at noon.  They would know, if you are saying "Chicago", it's real. 

A few years ago, this was "social" talk so to speak.  A conversation had amongst friends.  This "rule" was asked over and over again.  Many conversations were spoken about this subject.  Knowing how friendships are important.

Truly, we don't know whom will really show.  Different people deal and help with different things in our lives.  Then people we never thought would "come to Chicago", show up in Chicago.  Surprises in life never cease to amaze us.

Years ago I dated a guy.  Yes, the "Peter Pan" in my life.  Well, one of them anyway.  Through it all, people have always asked why I can't let him go.  How we've maintained our friendship over these years.  I don't know.  We are mean to each other.  We ignore each other.  Real world, it would never work.  We could pretend it might work.  We actually even try this "relationship" thing every so often.  Then we go long periods of time without speaking or seeing each other.  If it was supposed to have worked out by now, it would have.   When you get to the core of our friendship.  It's not about romance.  It's about being there for someone.  We love each other.  We always will.  In a different way, the way friends are supposed to love each other.  The thing is, I know.  In my heart of hearts, if I needed him in Chicago tomorrow at noon, well, he would be there.  (No that's not true.  He would be there at one.)  But he would be there.  Not a doubt in my mind.  My kids school play - no, he wouldn't be there.  Me crossing a finish line at a race, no that's not him either.  He's just there.  Friends are there.


Sometimes we confuse actions as romance.  Then we confuse friendship as love - the Hollywood kind.  When actually, they are our friends whom love us - the real kind. The real friend whom will show up in Chicago, no questions asked.  THAT is our friendship. THAT is love. Chicago style.

No, I've never asked him about "Chicago".  He would be there. I've also never asked the three people I know whom would be in Chicago the question.  You just know.  Tomorrow at the hockey game?  No.  They wouldn't be there.  That's where you will find me.

My Chicago friends?  They are out there living their lives.  LIVING.  Breathing.  Creating their lives.  Not waiting.  Knowing.  If they ever need someone to go to Chicago in the middle of the night, well, someone will be there.

We will always LOVE each other.  There are people we all LOVE.  We just aren't supposed to live day in day out.  We are not today.  We are not every day.  We are Chicago.

Go be the friend whom would go to Chicago.

"Being someone's first love is great.  It's being their last love that is priceless....."

No comments:

Post a Comment