Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Driving

I don't really like to drive.  I live confined within a 6 mile radius.  My life is just fine within this radius.  I don't understand it when people commute 40 or so minutes to work every day.  That's almost two hours in the car - round-trip! LOTS of people commute, every single day.

Just not my thing.  I would be the PERFECT person, to live in a little village, owning a scooter and a bike.  You know, the kind with a basket on the front (yes, both the scooter and the bike) with fresh flowers and food in the basket. 

Road trips.  Road trips are good for about 6 hours.  I can make it seven or eight.  Anything more than that, well, I'd rather fly.  I've done all this.  Well, if it's over 8 hours, I guess I could ride a bus or a train, but I don't want to drive.

I'm a HORRIBLE parallel Parker.  Once upon a time, I owned a Mazda Miata.  I could park that thing anywhere.  Any place.  After that - well, not so much.  Side note, I drive one in Hawaii - I can still park that thing.  Although, the guy I'm working with?  He owns this truck - I'm determined to learn to parallel park it.  If I can park that, I can park anything.  I've only driven it once.

Which brings me to my oldest son receiving his learners permit on Friday.  I've determined it would just be better if I shut-up and shut my eyes.  If he's going to wreck, well, he's going to wreck.  Actually, he's not going to wreck, he's going to side-swipe a car.  I'm just closing my eyes.

Yelling at him - scratch that - I'm not a yeller.  Besides it's not going to help.  It's just making me nervous.  It's making me want more wine. 

Granted, he could have received his permit 6 months ago.  He finally made up his mind.  He completed the online written portion last week.  He now has his permit.  He hasn't been in a hurry.  Everything, so far, I'm fine with.  In fact, as much as I'm ready for him to drive himself places, if he's not comfortable, well, I'm not pushing him.  I get it.  I don't like to drive either.  I like my bike.

For now, I just close my eyes.  Hold my breath.  Drink more wine (outside of the car.  Although, I'm thinking a wine bottle in the car would be great!).  And hold on.  After all, I've always been about the ride.  And usually, the ride has nothing to do with driving.


No comments:

Post a Comment