Thursday, February 27, 2014

Other things to remember

More on my list of what to remember while winter running:

IT IS STILL WINTER.  This is not "spring-time" in the Rockies.  It is FEBRUARY.  It is still winter.  No matter what the sky looks like or the thermostat tells you.  It's winter.  That means, while there may not be a cloud in the sky, while it may be 65 degrees - it can all be very short lived.  I went to run on Monday.  I left the house in a running skirt and a tank top.  It was 65 degrees.  The air was warm.  The sun was bright.  I was at mile 1.5 - and it started getting windy.  I KNOW better than to leave the house without a jacket, or a long sleeve shirt - I've lived here for over 20 years.  Weather can change in a moment - no matter what the month.  By the time I got home, 20 minutes later - it was 35 degrees.  Yes, it dropped 30 degrees in 20 minutes.  I know better than this.

Snow mold.  Never heard of it before.  But when I'm done running, I start to sneeze within 10 minutes of stopping.  I don't stop sneezing.  Take a Sudafed immediately.  Evidently, the ground, leaves, whatever starts to mold under the snow that doesn't melt - then it melts, and the mold gets to me.  Never knew I was allergic to snow mold.  Of course, I didn't know there was such a thing.

Weight coming off in the winter is different than in the summer.  I think my body keeps trying to keep me warm.  My clothes are looser, but the weight loss has stopped.  No, it's not muscle, trust me.

The thoughts that pop into your head are incredible.  You don't know anyone or yourself any better than you ever will after you have pushed your body to another limit.  I was running last week - my first really long run this time - 12 miles (I'm SO behind).  I got to mile 11 and I told myself  "Slow down.  It's okay, it's not like this is a competition."  Then I smiled.  If this isn't a competition, I don't know what is.  Only this time, I'm only competing against me.

It's time to upload/download some new music.  The music that got you this far, isn't getting you across this finish line.  Time for new music.  It's a new race.

No comments:

Post a Comment