Saturday, June 30, 2012

It's been a year

One year ago tomorrow, I arrived in Kona for the first time.  I had no idea what to expect.  A wide open slate of opportunities and adventures to fill in my life.

In the past 12 months - I've now been in Kona for a total of 8 weeks.  2 months out of the 12.  Guess you can say we like it here.

LOVE the water.  Although I do catch myself thinking,  "it would nice to be dry for a day".  Not sure if I really mean that or not.  Because, I go to the water every day.  And I get in the water.  The whole "dry off" thing - it just a thought.  Truly, I think, if it were up to me, I wouldn't ever be dry. That's the problem, I have to dry off.

LOVE the weather.  It's perfect.  EVERY single day.  Every single day that I was here for 2 months.  Where we are living (the coffee region), it rains every afternoon and some nights.  Everything is SO LUSH.  (Of course, the Kokies and Mosquito's are bad.  Hey, it can't all be perfect in paradise.

LOVE the people.  The locals and the tourist.  LOVE the whole experience of them all.

This of course is not the real world.  Or is it?  I work.  I play.  We don't have hockey or anything "organized".  Organized is what the real world is - "lessons, schedules, etc".  Lily has swim team M,W,F - she has a bit of a schedule.  The rest of us (in this group), not so much.......

Nolan and I are wrapping up two weeks on the island.  He pointed out, this time last year, the trip was almost over.  (The boys were here 15 days, me 31).   He said it would totally stink if we were leaving on Monday (like we did last year).  I said, are you ready to go home?  "No way" not even close.  I'm not sure it's because he's been an only child for 2 weeks.   Or if it's the facts he's got a girl and doesn't want his brother to show up and for her to like him better.  Who can blame him.  There is nothing like a first crush, nothing like a first heartache.

4th of July is my FAVORITE holiday.  Absolute favorite.  It's a "no guilt" holiday.  There are no presents.  You don't have to go see anyone.  You don't have to please anyone for this holiday.  PLUS, I love fireworks.  The fireworks here are in the ocean.  A year ago, I sat on the rocks in town and watched the fireworks.

This year (I have a fiscal year - July 1 to July 1), has been a good year. I'm a very fortunate person.  I fell in love, I got my heart broke, I recovered, I had fun, lots of joy and I"M BACK IN KONA for the summer.  

I love this weekend.  Always have.  I moved to Colorado 20 years ago tomorrow.

I started in recruiting 19 years ago tomorrow.

I went into labor with Nolan 13 years ago tomorrow.

And a year ago, I set out on a journey expecting nothing.  And my, oh, my did I receive so much more......




No comments:

Post a Comment