Saturday, October 20, 2012

Where the ocean meets the land

There is a song out right now with the lines 


                       Someone said they might have seen you where the ocean meets the land
                       So I've been out here all night lookin' for your footprints in the sand
                       Did you hear the ocean singing, baby did you sing along
                       While you danced out in the water to some ol' forgotten song,

I think I've lost another one to the water.

Nolan, my youngest son, just arrived home from SeaCamp in San Diego. All the parents were at the escalators waiting for our kids off the airport train.  It was fun.  All the parents waiting to hear the stories of the week.  There was a blog that kept us updated, but nothing like the real stories.  Three of us moms rode together to pick up our boys.  The ride home is so much better when you have several of them in the car - they tell stories to each other, forgetting the moms are in the car.

The general consensus:  They will be so glad to be home.

Me:  Not my son.  He's going to want to pack his bag and head back.  I would bet you on this one.

Here he comes.  Sunglasses still on.  Hat on backwards - wavy blonde hair escaping from the cap. Shorts, flip flops and a SeaCamp sweatshirt.  A tinge of sunburn on his nose.  "The water is SO much better than the mountains".   "Sam and I thought we should hitch a ride and go to LA.  I'm going there after college.  Heck, I may go there to college".   I really should bet on this child.......

I want my sons to realize they live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.  We have perfect weather - we get all four seasons.  We have the snow.  We have the dessert.   We have SUNSHINE.  LOTS OF SUNSHINE.

The only thing we are missing?  The water.

I want them to realize what they have.  I want them to realize there is a WHOLE BIG WORLD out there.  BUT,  Be present.  Be and live where you are.  Don't spend your whole life wishing you were some place you aren't.  Being someone you aren't.  But go TRY.  Pack up your stuff, and go experience it all.  OR DON'T.  Just don't spend your time here wishing you were there.

In 8th grade, one of my best friends name was Mark.  Mark and I were going to go to UCLA.  We were going to have matching white Mercedes convertibles.  My license plate:  "Buffy"  His "Bif".  We never made it.  Our dreams were big - we just didn't know how to get there.

I've been to the UCLA campus.  I still think of Mark when I think of UCLA.  Mark and I lost touch years ago, but I am friends with his older brother on Facebook.  I still think I want the Mercedes convertible. (only it will probably be an Audi with a retractable roof - still white though)

The first time I was on the campus - I wanted to send Mark a picture and the quote "I made it".   My license plate will no longer be "Buffy", it will be "NVRLKNBK" (let me know when you figure it out)

One thing I've realized about dreams.  They all come true.  Sometimes just later than you wanted.  They change a bit - the premise is still there. AND, you don't have to stay.  You can check it off the list. Then go on.

Now though, I believe, I could make it. If I really want it. I also know my sons can make it, if that's their dream. 

"When you are ready to run away to the ocean, don't every worry.  I'll take you"  said me to Nolan.

I don't have to stay with you.  Chances are though, I'll be living down the street.  You can find my footprints in the sand.....




No comments:

Post a Comment