Sunday, June 16, 2013

Caddyshack

The movie "Caddyshack" debuted in 1980.  I was eleven.  I didn't see the movie.  I do remember watching bits and pieces of it at summer camp on a VCR.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen the movie all the way through, from beginning to end.  I know many of the great lines and remember the "candy bar in the pool scene", but hmm, now I'm going to have to watch it.

My oldest son is a caddy now for the second summer at a local country club.  Only this is the oldest country club in Denver - you can't just join.  A member must extend an invitation - then there is a wait list.  I hear the wait list is over two years before you can become a member.  They have an incredible caddy program.  You must be 14.  They put you through a 3 Saturday training.  The kids earn $14 per "Loop" (18 holes) then a tip on top of that.  Tips range from $10 - $50 per loop.  The older men (p70+) usually are bad tippers, but it's understandable.  They remember when they were paid $4 per loop plus a dollar tip. 

We aren't members at the club - the caddy program is open to the public.  There is even a scholarship available for college.

The golfers treat the caddy's well - they buy them Gatorade.  There are "Caddy Meals" available for three dollars.  Not a bad gig for a first job.  It's tax free.  It's not a set schedule and they make pretty good money.  They learn how to connect and network.  Us parents also get good stories.

Duncan gets in the car on Friday so excited he can't even stand himself.  I'm on the phone.  I pause and ask "how was your loop?"  He replied, "It was GREAT - I have some stuff to tell you about it."  I finish my call then ask "so, do tell".  "Well, first, in my foursome, the younger guys were sons of the member - they had played  Lacrosse and coached at Notre Dame.  We got to talk sports and college playing stuff."

He goes on, "BUT, guess who was in the foursome in front of us???"  "I have NO idea."  Guess, just guess.  "Michael Jackson??".  "MOM!!!  No, it was Peyton Manning!!!"  "He's HUGE"  He goes on and on about "Mr. Manning" for a bit.  He didn't get to meet him, but he was definitely star struck for the day.

WELL, the next day, it turns out, one of his friends was caddying with the foursome in front of Duncan  - yes, the Peyton Manning foursome.

They teach the boys to be polite, interact, have conversation, but also stay in the "shadows".  Turns out Duncan's friend is walking with Peyton and they are talking about golf.   Then Gus says to "Mr. Manning", so "Do you play any other sports?"  Smile.  They said he laughed all afternoon.







No comments:

Post a Comment