Friday, March 16, 2012

I've bought the same house THREE times

Okay, I've actually only bought it twice.

The first time I bought the house:  It was 1998.  We went to look at it on Christmas Eve morning 1997.  I had a 9 day old baby.  We pulled up in front of the house.  We didn't even need to go in.  This was the house.

Don't get excited, maybe it won't be all it seems.  I walked in.  This was the house.

We closed Super Bowl Weekend January 1998.

When I moved out January 2002 - He could have the house.  I didn't want anything to do with it.  Just let me go.  Please.  I'm sorry.  I tried.  I tried for 10 years and 2 kids, please can I just go?

I'm sorry.

August 2002.  I bought the house back.  It was MY house.  I came back.  My kids, my house.  It's funny, I lived there for four years with my ex-husband and kids.  Although, when I think about the house.  I truly think of it as MY house.

I never did the "apartment with friends" - after college.  Yes, I lived in the sorority house in college.  Oh my, we were so young.......

I got married.  He's a great guy.  He's a great father.

What's really funny, I only lived in that house for a year and a half all by myself.  Although, that was during the "found years".  The years we reclaimed.  I think Carolyn was in town every other month - if not  more.

Then I moved to the "neighborhood house".  The great house, with great neighborhood kids, and well, not "the house in Cherry Creek"  No more cute neighbor for your best friend to kiss when she came to town.

This house has been more than I could have ever dreamed.

It's THAT house.  Yes, all the kids are here.  Comment from new neighbor 'how many kids do you have?  we haven't figured it out?"  Just two - we just have the neighborhood house.  :-)  I've wanted my whole life to have the neighborhood house.  Once again, those things you want, just go make them happen.  "That's really cool".  Yes, it is.

Now a time is drawing near.  Background here.  My "old" house.  Is a Denver bungalow.  It's charming and has the BEST front porch in the whole world.  AND the couple whom bought it - a delightful wonderful young couple - they were just getting married, and I heard a few years ago they had a baby.  I'm sure they now have two.

I remember those days.  The house got a little crowded.  1008 square feet 1 bathroom up, 1 bathroom down.

I moved to the "neighborhood house"  and I told them then:  By the time you have kids, you will want more room.  And let's make a deal.  You can buy my house and I will buy your house.  My old house.

My oldest goes to high school next year.  1.2 miles from the old house.  Yes, it's too small for us, but maybe one boy lives with their dad and the other with their mom - then they swap.  It's big enough for two of us full time  - and we are in Kona for the summer anyway.  It's closer to the high school.  Ten years ago it sounded like a good idea......

Maybe they are ready for the "neighborhood house".  Maybe it's time to go back to Cherry Creek.  It's seems really small.  It doesn't seem like something I would want to do.  Although, who can honestly say, "I've bought the same house, THREE times".  ?

I do have the PERFECT porch swing to hang on the porch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment