Monday, July 23, 2012

The Perfect Ending

Waves

Water always makes everything better.  Get in the water.  Cleanse your soul.  Wash all the dirt away.  All types of stuff.

Waves are like life.  There are days with great waves and the tide is perfect.  Catch a good wave - and you can ride it to shore.  Or catch one, and someone gets in front of you - you steer off course, you get caught in the "washing machine"  and spit out.

Up and down.  In and out.  High tides and low tides.  Sometimes you get rolled.

You hold your breath and enjoy the ride.

Our last day in Kona couldn't have been "more better".  We cleaned up.  We went to the beach.  We were starving and went to lunch with Al and Lily at the Kona Brewing Company.  I caught the PERFECT picture of the kids and the happiness of our summer.

Silliness.  Happiness and joy in every one's eyes.

It's 3:00. We need to leave our house at 6:15 at the latest.  We are all packed.  We will need to shower.  What do you we want to do we have two hours?  Go!

We want to go to the beach!  Of course!  The kids go in the back of the truck - through the town.  One more time.

I've already washed my hair.  Maybe I'll just sit on the side.  Sure.

I'll swim as far as I can.  I'll hang in the water with the man whom we can't speak to each other.  I have nothing to say - I've said all I can.  He doesn't know what to say - Actually, I don't know what he's thinking. 

We listen to the kids.  Laugh like they have never laughed before.  Like they will never laugh again.  For one more moment.

The grown-ups: they give us the boogie boards.  I road waves - waves I have ridden all summer.  Perfect waves.  In perfect moments.

Three perfect waves.  All the way in.  The kids thought I was surely going to "die".  They were "scared" for their lives.  Their mom was going to die.  "I was going to get rolled".  I was scared too.  Scared I was going to swallow a bunch of water.  Get stomped on by someone else.  Not once though.  I just rode the waves to the beach.  With someone right next to me, blue eyes smiling. And when it was time, rode the last wave in, got out by myself and went and showered. 

Showered to the music of the locals having a Sunday cook-out - playing their songs.  Cooking and playing their ukulele's.  Running into friends on the beach.  Everyone was happy.  A perfect ending to a wonderful summer.

I wish I could say this was one of those Hollywood moments and everyone was washed cleaned. And they all lived Happily Ever After.

Actually, I can.

It was three kids playing in the water.  Laughing so hard, and so pure, everything was right in the world.  It was two adults, riding some waves.  

Everyone covered in sand. Everyone arriving to shore.  Some before the others:   a little dirty, a little scratched and all still smiling. 





The End



or maybe, it's just the beginning ..






No comments:

Post a Comment