Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Adventures of a blind date

I guess I was on a blind date.  Only I didn't know I was on a blind date.

Nolan and I spent the morning paddling with the Canoe team, then me working, then us at the beach.  Today is his birthday, so at "happy hour" he wanted to go to Huggo's for Virgin Pina Colada's and fish tacos.

We arrive at Huggos.  There is music about to play.  The temperature is perfect.  We are seated at a table in the sand.  (The only restaurant I know of that ALMOST encourages you to take your shoes off while at the table).

While coming back from the restroom, I look across the bar and this guy waves at me.  In a minute, he shows up at the table with a big grin on his face and gives me a hug.  I hug back.  Everyone here is very friendly and it's not surprising to receive a hug or a kiss on the cheek from a total stranger.  He sits down.  I introduce Nolan.  Only this guy at the table doesn't say his name.  He talks like we know each other, so I just go along with it.  The waitress comes by - he orders a drink and some food.  (Yes, put it on a separate check I tell the waitress).  I finally say "I'm sorry, what is your name again?"  He tells me "Bill"  - it still doesn't sound familiar.  After a little bit, he stands up and says, "I'm going to let you two eat.  I'll be back".  He leaves.

I look at Nolan and say "I've never seen that guy before, I have no IDEA who he was!" "REALLY?" replies Nolan.  "You should be up for best actress!".  "I didn't want to embarrass the guy - I just went along with it."

We enjoy our drinks and our food.  We were finishing up - he comes back and says "Save me!"  "I'm on a blind date - it's not going well.  I tried "Plenty of Fish" (a dating site) and I'm on a blind date."  I replied, "What are you doing on a blind date on a Tuesday afternoon?"  He says, "I know, hey kid, don't ever date".  He says "what do I do?".  I told him "Man up.  Be gracious, but tell her this isn't going well."  "Well, can I use the line 'we can be friends'?"  No, I replied.  Just say the truth.  "But what if her best friend is the girl of my dreams?"  "Well, she will tell you that"  "If she's a real woman".  Then he leaves again.

Nolan and I just laugh.  How funny.

Then as we are walking to the car, we see the "blind date couple" at the bar.  She has long blonde curly hair.  He waves.

As we get in the car, Nolan says to me "I figured it out".  Me, "Figured what out?".  "The blind date", "he thought the blind date was supposed to be you"

Oh.  Light bulb moment - thanks Nolan for helping me in on the puzzle. Because, I'm thinking I always bring my son on a blind date with me. I just thought I was out celebrating my sons birthday - turns out I was on a blind date.....




No comments:

Post a Comment