Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Owie

"Why must we have an "owie" tradition on the island?" - a friend asked me last year after I had cut my foot open. 

First summer:  Black eye (surfing accident)

Second trip:  Slipped and fell - just a little scratch

Second summer:  Nine stitches in the bottom of my foot (sliding off the paddle board, cutting it open on the coral

I replied "Pele is testing me"  Pele is the Goddess of the Volcano.  Her arch enemy was the snow queen.  She wants to make sure I'm worthy of staying on her island.

I've told everyone this summer, "Pele and I have made our peace"  "It's HER island, but I'm here to visit - I've become a part of the island.  I'm here to enjoy it - and while I love it here - it's YOUR island." 

So this summer, I've made it a record 13 days here with only a few little bumps and bruises.   A little slice on the big toe.  A big bruise on the back of my leg from the way I climbed into my canoe after paddling the first time.  A sunburn. 

But most of all - my heart is whole.  I'm happy and content with the island that I love.  Pele - you are welcome to be in charge....


No comments:

Post a Comment