Thursday, July 4, 2013

Teenage Freedom

4th of July is my FAVORITE holiday.  It's a "No Guilt" holiday.  No presents to buy.  No dinners to attend.  It's all about enjoying our freedom.  Literally.  Our freedom as Americans.  Our freedom from family pressures.  Freedom to watch, observe and participate. Or the freedom to do none of the above and stay home.

I was prepared to write about the arrival of my summer daughter - she gets here tonight.  She's so excited.  So am I.  And I know a teenage boy who's pretty excited too.  But last year there was drama with the dad and his old girlfriend. Something I don't want to write about.  Drama I'm not participating in this year.  Any man whom wouldn't put his daughter's feelings first, over an old girlfriends, well, he's not the man for me.  While he might still make a really good friend, I don't have friends like that.  And freedom, for me, comes free.  For others it comes at a cost.

As the onslaught of summer teenagers are about to begin.  She arrives tonight.  Duncan on Monday.  Then I feel, I will have no freedom, but will be the camp director.  It's okay though, I chose to live this way.  I'm free.  (Plus, it really is bunches of fun!)


I've received approximately 20 texts in a span of 24 hours - plus a bunch of pictures, plus a bunch of e-mails from a very excited girl.  She posted the sweetest post ever on Instagram about Nolan to Nolan for his birthday.  I was told she actually is going to miss the house from last summer - we stayed next door.  Of course you are, I replied, there is no Ohana (guest house) for all you kids to have a sleep over.  (Momma is no fool).  At least she told me I was right.

So yesterday, I enjoyed my drama FREE day. My day of an incredible hike with my son to a memorial of Captain Cook.  Also, the memorial of a boy whom was swept out to sea last year on this very day at the very spot we were.  Paying homage to people whom risked it all for freedom.

Freedom of theirs.  Freedom of ours.

But today, we are going to go paddle.  Then go watch some turtles being set free (more on this story later), then a parade and fireworks.  A day of freedom.

Thankful we are all free to make our own choices even if we are no longer teenagers.






No comments:

Post a Comment